Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sonato da Chiesa


I wasn't entirely sure what to title my post today. I'm pretty sure there's no musical term for "confused" which is what I've been feeling, and not a whole lot has happened to characterize my day from any other. So, at a loss, I started "flipping" through some random terms on an online music dictionary and I happened upon Sonato da Chiesa. A collection of Church peices. Well that seemed to fit quite adequetly!

As part of my course I'm required to attend Church on Sunday. It's kind of like having another class, so we're supposed to be there when we can, and we're supposed to take notes on the sermon being preached. I attend both the morning and the evening service at my Church, and they are both amazing, so it's not a struggle to show up.

But things have been a little up in the air lately, and I've been doing a bit of a mad scramble to get myself there. I don't drive and there is no convenient bus system so it's particularly interesting to get to school, church, and extra activites everyday. God has definitely provided rides for me though, and I am so grateful! This morning I was able to get a ride with the Pastor who heads the course I'm taking, and a ride back with one of my classmates. Now it's just a matter of getting to evening service in two hours.

I talked to Amoroso* to see if he could take me, naturally. Just to clarify from yesterday, he does know that I exist, just not that I'm completely stupid when he's around. Either way, no such luck in that department. I asked the Pastor again though I haven't heard anything back yet. I also asked the classmate who drove me back and he said he could if no one else can, but I feel bad because he lives on the opposite side of the city, and it's not particularly on his way to come and get me. I don't think it's entirely out of the way either, but I don't know the city enough to say.

*If you're curious about this whole Amoroso business my last post will help to clarify what I'm talking about.

I know I'll get there somehow, I just don't want to ask people to drive me! I wish God would just pick me up and set me down wherever I needed to be, whenever I needed to be there. I feel so bad asking everyone if they're willing to take me. Being that I am an independant Trumpet Player, I don't really like having to be dependant on other people. But perhaps that's why I am. God's teaching me dependance, because in the grand sceme of things, we're supposed to be entirely dependant on Him. Still, it's a hard lesson to learn.

Back to Sonato da Chiesa though. It has just seemed to be that kind of a week. Everything has been part of this grand collection of Church pieces. Up until yesterday it was school, and some of the church activities I'm involved in. Then yesterday there was this function that we had that a vast majority of my classmates atteneded. It was SO much fun. We played some games, had some great food, and laughed until I thought my face was going to split apart. I was so amped up afterwards though that I ended up staying awake until midnight. Then today is Church, two different times, and tomorrow we start over again!

I'm quickly realizing that I want my life to be Sonato da Chiesa. It is absolutely what I want for my entire life, not just for this time in my life. I want to be deeply involed in the Church. I want to be there everyday, surrounded by the people that come and in and out of it every week. I thought to myself, maybe this is the start of God urging me into ministry? He has been turning my future on it's head, but I can't say for sure at this point. I can't even begin to venture a guess on what He's got up His sleeve for me. I know whatever it is though, it's going to involve some magnitude of the Church.

I know most people wouldn't think the Sonato da Chiesa would be the most exciting peices in the world. Isn't that like--a bunch of organ pieces and old hymns? Actually, Sonato da Chiesa were performed often in concerts for entertainment purposes. Ravennate Arcangelo Corelli performed some marvelous Sonato da Chiesa (like Sonato da chiesa in A minor, and the Sonato da Chiesa in G major) which were certainly not boring. They featured amazing violin parts which would appeal to any number of audiences.

I would urge you to listen to them.

I think a lot of the time "Church life" can seem like it would be boring. Organ pieces and old hymns. But the Sonato da Chiesa can be breathtaking, awe inspiring, entertaining. I'm finding that out every day! Maybe, if you haven't given the Sonato da Chiesa a chance, you should try again. Listen to some Corelli and get yourself to church. Who knows, maybe I'll see you tonight?

-Trumpet Player  



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe that you stayed up that late XD
    Anywho, It seems life it going pretty awesome for you, I hope that you continue to feel this great ^_^

    ReplyDelete