But it's not necessarily that the normal "Straight rhythm" of my life has been somehow invaded by "Swing Timing." In fact, I'd almost say that I've been playing the part of my life that's supposed to be in "Swing timing" in "Straight Timing" instead. Trust me, it makes a difference. The same score can sound entirely different if only you've changed the "timing."
Okay okay, things are getting a little bit lost and confused, aren't they? You're left behind, and I keep chugging ahead like you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Shall I start from the beginning?
It all started yesterday--except--not really.
Scratch that.
It all started in September 2013...
I had just began my schooling, and I didn't know a whole lot of anybody. I had this friend--let's call her the Soprano Saxophone.* We got a long pretty well, and she was about the only person that I really talked to.
*A Soprano Saxophone looks kind of like a Clarinet, except it's gold and more Saxophone like. My friend sort of seems like she would be a Clarinet, and then you really get to talking to her and she's very social and actually kind of--saxophone like.
Anyways! My and The Soprano Sax were walking around after our eight am lab class once we had finished our project early. There were all these boards and tables set up everywhere around the school, with people pushing their clubs like they were the coolest things since sliced bread. I didn't know much about "Club Days"--which is when everyone who runs a club in the University sets up their table and pushes their clubs on you like they are the coolest thing since sliced bread--but I had nothing better to do so I glanced into the faces of all the club pushers and examined their boards.
Christian Clubs, Humanitarian Clubs, Movie Clubs, Anime Clubs, Book Clubs, there was everything for every kind of person!
I felt like maybe I, like all those ambitious people out there before me, should perhaps join a club. Some noteworthy advice had been given me earlier, at my student orientation, and that was "get involved." AKA, join a club.
There were a few that caught my eye. A "hey maybe" sort of thing occurred. But nothing really reached out and grabbed my by the soul, beckoning me to be a part of the amazingness that would no doubt ensue if I joined.
And then--something weird happened.
I was just about ready to give up, to head on over to my Education Class and forget the whole thing. At least, forget the whole thing for a little while. If I didn't join a club, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I would just focus on my studies and I would make friends somehow. Perhaps it wouldn't be easy (most people in class are pretty focused on being "in class", myself included) but it would happen. It had with the Soprano Sax hadn't it?
But wait! Something caught my eye. A video playing on a table of some really neat people Swing Dancing.
Well hey, whoa, what was that? I stopped, I looked, I exclaimed that it actually looked pretty cool, and the Club Pusher must've urged me to sign up my email on their list, because that's what I found myself doing.
It wasn't a commitment yet, it was just something to think about. I was on a email list--that was all.
The Club Pusher informed me that they were having a kick-off dance and that I should really come. It was going to be great, there would be a lesson and then some social dancing afterwards. I didn't like the idea of "social dancing", it sounded kind of strange to me. What I imagined was that I would be standing on the side of some room while other people danced with each other. Perhaps I would be talking to some other awkward "non-participant" or perhaps I would be a solo. Standing in the corner bouncing on my toes.
A little while later, after all but forgetting about the club that I had signed up to hear about, I received an email. The kick-off was happening at the end of the month! I was pretty excited to see what this whole thing was about, even though I had some inhibitions about it.
Oh but wait--we were going to Transplant Camp that weekend. There was no way that I was going to be able to make it to the Swing Dance Club kick-off. I emailed the Club Pusher asking if this was an integral lesson, and if I didn't make it if I could still join the club.
By this point I had decided that Swing Dance was something that I wanted to figure out how to do. It seemed like it would be quite a bit of fun.
The Club Pusher never did answer my question, so I figured I would just show up the next week, on Friday at 4:00, when the lessons started.
I would be lying to you if I said that I wasn't kind of hesitant at first. I had a class that ended at noon and I had to wait around the school until four before I could actually go to the lesson. I contemplated just going home.
But I stuck around, and though time dragged on for those four hours, I found myself standing in the fitness room over the gym, with a group of other random people that were milling about. I knew a girl from one of my Ed classes, and I had managed to convince one of my friends to join the club too. But for the most part, I had struck out to do this thing on my own. I wasn't sure if I would know anybody when I started, and I didn't know very many people when I actually stepped out to do it.
But you know what? It was amazing! We started by learning how to triple step, and get into "closed position" with your lead. That was weird at first. I mean, I knew you had a partner when you Swing Dance but I wasn't--you know--too keen on dancing with some strange guy I had just met.
It seems silly that it mattered now.
But anyways, week after week I kept going back. The Instructor (who also happened to be the Club Pusher) was great at teaching and his Follow had amazing technique! She had a good way of explaining to the rest of us Follows as well, how to properly listen to what you're Lead tells you to do. Because, of course, the Lead doesn't normally say "hey, we're going to do this now." Oh no! Through subtle gestures and the position of his hand, or the amount of pressure he give you, you have to interpret what he's about to do next.
It's not only a good workout, but it's intellectually stimulating too! You're always on your brain's toes (okay, that was stupid, I apologize).
But where does that bring us? That brings us to yesterday, the Swing Dance Club Winter Party!
I can't tell you how amazing it was! We had a larger turnout than we expected, because the party was open to all members of the University, and we actually needed to break up the beginner lesson into two groups because they wouldn't all fit in the same room.
There was good food, good company, a lot of people were dressed up in vintage wear (myself included). Honestly, it was fantastic, amazing, fabulous, stupendous, Allegro!
Okay, Allegro. What does that mean? Well cheerful or brisk is what it actually means, but generally it is read as being a lively/fast tempo. My night last night, was both. It was lively and brisk for sure! I Charleston-ed all night long! I got told by one of the guys in my club that I am the Charleston Master, and that definitely inflated my ego.
It was also super joyful though! I feel like Swing is my niche. It's where I'm supposed to be, because I feel so confident now. Even though I'm not as good as some people I know it doesn't matter! Everyone will dance with anybody, and they'll be nice about it. Though you may suck, they won't tell you that you suck, they'll just smile, laugh, and keep dancing with you until the song is over.
The "Social Dance" I was so scared about, became the coolest thing I've ever experienced. There is a place here in the city where people go to Swing on the weekend, and I'm dying to go. Only problem--dancing is from nine to midnight and while I know that I would be there until midnight, I also know that I don't drive and couldn't find my way home on the not running bus at midnight.
Nevertheless! Where there is a will, there is a way, and one time before the new semester starts up I will be dancing until midnight!
I've always loved Big Band Music (yah yah, I know what you're thinking but it's not just because I'm a Trumpet), but now I have an even deeper appreciation for it. It's just--there's something about it that gets into you. I can't stop thinking about what an amazing time I had!
I also had a chance to dance with my Instructor, and he's just about the coolest person I've ever met, so even though I butchered the dance I had so much fun that it doesn't even matter! Seriously! My Lacrimoso was turned into an Allegro so fast that I think my head is spinning just a little bit! Swing Dance does that to a person I suppose.
Alright folks! That's all I can say for now! I have a trip to pack for, a fantastic night to dwell on, and a dream to nurse! I hope that, if anything, my story is proof that a sad song doesn't have to stay that way for long. Our amazing God can find a way to flip the page of your score, and change your sad soulful wail, into a brisk, effervescent Allegro. It just--it comes with knowing that the movement behind the Lacrimoso is in God's hands, and He's going to take care of it all. Somehow, someway, He'll direct you to Allegro. You just have to wait for it. Maybe it'll be within days (like mine) and maybe it wont. Maybe it'll be a temporary thing, something that exists outside the realm of your issues (like mine) and it wont resolve the thing that was causing Lacrimoso in the first place. But maybe it wont be like that! Maybe it'll be the answer to the question that has been causing you so much sorrow, and you're Allegro can be a lasting way of life.
I'm just babbling here now. Basically, don't let that sad song last long! There is so much more in life for you, there's so much better than living Lacrimoso!
Live life Allegro!
--Trumpet Player
Oh but wait--we were going to Transplant Camp that weekend. There was no way that I was going to be able to make it to the Swing Dance Club kick-off. I emailed the Club Pusher asking if this was an integral lesson, and if I didn't make it if I could still join the club.
By this point I had decided that Swing Dance was something that I wanted to figure out how to do. It seemed like it would be quite a bit of fun.
The Club Pusher never did answer my question, so I figured I would just show up the next week, on Friday at 4:00, when the lessons started.
I would be lying to you if I said that I wasn't kind of hesitant at first. I had a class that ended at noon and I had to wait around the school until four before I could actually go to the lesson. I contemplated just going home.
But I stuck around, and though time dragged on for those four hours, I found myself standing in the fitness room over the gym, with a group of other random people that were milling about. I knew a girl from one of my Ed classes, and I had managed to convince one of my friends to join the club too. But for the most part, I had struck out to do this thing on my own. I wasn't sure if I would know anybody when I started, and I didn't know very many people when I actually stepped out to do it.
But you know what? It was amazing! We started by learning how to triple step, and get into "closed position" with your lead. That was weird at first. I mean, I knew you had a partner when you Swing Dance but I wasn't--you know--too keen on dancing with some strange guy I had just met.
It seems silly that it mattered now.
But anyways, week after week I kept going back. The Instructor (who also happened to be the Club Pusher) was great at teaching and his Follow had amazing technique! She had a good way of explaining to the rest of us Follows as well, how to properly listen to what you're Lead tells you to do. Because, of course, the Lead doesn't normally say "hey, we're going to do this now." Oh no! Through subtle gestures and the position of his hand, or the amount of pressure he give you, you have to interpret what he's about to do next.
It's not only a good workout, but it's intellectually stimulating too! You're always on your brain's toes (okay, that was stupid, I apologize).
But where does that bring us? That brings us to yesterday, the Swing Dance Club Winter Party!
I can't tell you how amazing it was! We had a larger turnout than we expected, because the party was open to all members of the University, and we actually needed to break up the beginner lesson into two groups because they wouldn't all fit in the same room.
There was good food, good company, a lot of people were dressed up in vintage wear (myself included). Honestly, it was fantastic, amazing, fabulous, stupendous, Allegro!
Okay, Allegro. What does that mean? Well cheerful or brisk is what it actually means, but generally it is read as being a lively/fast tempo. My night last night, was both. It was lively and brisk for sure! I Charleston-ed all night long! I got told by one of the guys in my club that I am the Charleston Master, and that definitely inflated my ego.
It was also super joyful though! I feel like Swing is my niche. It's where I'm supposed to be, because I feel so confident now. Even though I'm not as good as some people I know it doesn't matter! Everyone will dance with anybody, and they'll be nice about it. Though you may suck, they won't tell you that you suck, they'll just smile, laugh, and keep dancing with you until the song is over.
The "Social Dance" I was so scared about, became the coolest thing I've ever experienced. There is a place here in the city where people go to Swing on the weekend, and I'm dying to go. Only problem--dancing is from nine to midnight and while I know that I would be there until midnight, I also know that I don't drive and couldn't find my way home on the not running bus at midnight.
Nevertheless! Where there is a will, there is a way, and one time before the new semester starts up I will be dancing until midnight!
I've always loved Big Band Music (yah yah, I know what you're thinking but it's not just because I'm a Trumpet), but now I have an even deeper appreciation for it. It's just--there's something about it that gets into you. I can't stop thinking about what an amazing time I had!
I also had a chance to dance with my Instructor, and he's just about the coolest person I've ever met, so even though I butchered the dance I had so much fun that it doesn't even matter! Seriously! My Lacrimoso was turned into an Allegro so fast that I think my head is spinning just a little bit! Swing Dance does that to a person I suppose.
Alright folks! That's all I can say for now! I have a trip to pack for, a fantastic night to dwell on, and a dream to nurse! I hope that, if anything, my story is proof that a sad song doesn't have to stay that way for long. Our amazing God can find a way to flip the page of your score, and change your sad soulful wail, into a brisk, effervescent Allegro. It just--it comes with knowing that the movement behind the Lacrimoso is in God's hands, and He's going to take care of it all. Somehow, someway, He'll direct you to Allegro. You just have to wait for it. Maybe it'll be within days (like mine) and maybe it wont. Maybe it'll be a temporary thing, something that exists outside the realm of your issues (like mine) and it wont resolve the thing that was causing Lacrimoso in the first place. But maybe it wont be like that! Maybe it'll be the answer to the question that has been causing you so much sorrow, and you're Allegro can be a lasting way of life.
I'm just babbling here now. Basically, don't let that sad song last long! There is so much more in life for you, there's so much better than living Lacrimoso!
Live life Allegro!
--Trumpet Player
No comments:
Post a Comment